Orchard Park Chapel

History of Orchard Park Chapel

The history of The Quinn Southtown Chapel of Amigone Funeral Home, Inc. 6170 W. Quaker Street began in 1813. Joshua Potter and his wife Judith (Palmer) settled on the W. Quaker land in 1806, purchasing the land in 1813. Joshua and his family were among the very first settlers in present Orchard Park. The original building found on this property is believed to have been built between 1813 and 1845 by Joshua. Over the years additions were made to the home; a west wing was added, bay windows to the east side and private stairway. The homestead stayed in the Potter family until 1930. Potter family descendents that are connected to this homestead were the Palmers, Sissons, Trevetts and Millitellos.

The area we now know as Orchard Park was originally part of the Township of Hamburg. The Four Corners of Orchard Park Village became known in the early days as Potter’s Corner due the homesteading of the prolific Quaker Potter family. The name Potter’s Corner was gradually changed into Orchard Park and was officially incorporated into a village in 1921. The entire township of E. Hamburg officially became known as the Orchard Park township in 1934.

Since 1947 the building has been operating as a funeral home. In 1947 as one of the first funeral home owners in the Orchard Park area Richard Harig bought the property on W. Quaker. He lived there with his family and operated the Harig Funeral Home. In 1983 Joseph Quinn acquired the building and operated his business Quinn Funeral Home until he merged with Amigone Funeral Home on January 18, 2006. The funeral home has been operating under the Amigone’s as Quinn-Amigone Funeral Home until present.

In 2009 the Amigone family decided that as a commitment to the families in Orchard Park and the Southtowns, the W. Quaker building needed a complete renovation. Mindful of preserving the architectural appeal and exterior character of the original homestead, the large addition expands behind the west side of the present home and funeral home. The new and handicap accessible addition and renovation offers comfortable and large visitation chapels, a beautiful décor and new large handicap restrooms. An expanded parking lot was added for convenience where the original Potter barn once stood. The wood from original Potter barn was donated to be used in rebuilding homes in the area.

With the large parking and the large facility the Amigone’s feel they can offer to the families in the Southtowns a facility that meets the standards of many of our other funeral homes. We are proud that we have maintained the integrity of the original Orchard Park classic look on the outside while incorporating a new modern very large funeral home on the inside.

This new Quinn Southtown Chapel fulfills our goal to be able to serve the Southtowns in the manner that fulfills our reputation.

Orchard Park Chapel Quaker Chapel Potter Chapel Free Consultation Fireplace Selection Room Conference Room Grand Hallway Front Hallway Main Entrance

OK

Loading...